Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Sexuality as Natural and a Fundamental Right

Correa and Jolly's article discussing sexuality in the frame of development spoke more to me than any article we have read for class thus far. This is probably because sexuality is very closely tied to my studies of the transgender community. An important distinction to be made for those unaware is that being transgender involves gender identity, whereas identifying as lesbian, gay, or bisexual (among others) deals directly with a person's sexual/romantic preferences for a partner. A break down:
  • Transgender: gender identity; SELF
  • Lesbian, gay, or bisexual; sexuality; OTHERS

With those distinctions made, we can move forward into the discussion of moving away from the boxes that sex, gender, and sexuality have put us in for too long. Correa and Jolly discussed sexual rights as a potential framework for action. As I read I understood this as less involvement with identities and more description of preferences or desires.

A direct experience that I have of this implementation is with my most recent gynecology appointment. My doctor is aware of my sexuality, but as a physician, she must ask the appropriate questions to gather all of the useful knowledge to provide me with the best care possible. A simple change of language can help us see how this framework can be used. Instead of asking, "Do you have sex with men?" my doctor asked, "Do you have sex with sperm producing people?" This is the most inclusive language I have ever heard when it comes to health care and sexual rights. In terms of healthcare, practitioners need to know the biological impacts of the sexual acts of their patient. By focusing on the biology (e.g., sperm producing persons), it takes out the sexuality and gender identity parts of communication.

My best friend works for Planned Parenthood (PP) here in Athens and I have learned/heard a lot about the organization given the recent controversies in Ohio. This knowledge, paired with the readings, led me to think about how sexual rights are treated internationally. Thus, a simple search led me to the International Planned Parenthood Foundation's (IPPF) website. This is an incredible organization that is doing wonderful things for women internationally. But not just women--IPPF advocates for men and young people as well. Their aim is to reach people around the world, but particularly poor and vulnerable people. It also promotes the enjoyment of sex, which is something Correa and Jolly also mention.

"We need to remember that sex can be a good thing, a source of well-being and joy, not just of violence, disease, discrimination and poverty" (p. 40). It is interesting to think about the shift of sexuality and sexual rights. It used to be that women were perceived as the promiscuous sex (between men and women), but now if a woman discusses her sex life or how active it is, there is stigma and shame attached. I saw a video (below) that made me start to think the shift is happening again. Although I do take issue with parts of the video, I found it to be a decent representative example of sexuality and sexual rights for women as discussed in the readings.

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Katy, I agree that the Correa and Jolly reading was effective in advancing the argument that we should challenge sex/gender essentialism and move beyond categories and binaries. I was impressed by the doctor at your gynecology appointment. I was not only impressed by her awareness about issues of gender, but also her attention to the ways that our routine communication practices assume a lot and can be discriminatory.

    Upon reading your post I could not help but think about the recent issues going on with Planned Parenthood over the last week (and beyond). I listened to a few segments of Congress' hearing with Cecil Richards and was disappointed to see how little some people care about the availability and access of sexual healthcare. I could not help but again think of Correa and Jolly, and their discussion of social construction. Within these discourses about Planned Parenthood, it has become evident that certain bodies matter less than other bodies, and that gaining political traction for an issue is more important to some people than creating effective and positive experiences for people around sexual health care. A discussion of class is also important here, as Planned Parenthood welcomes anyone, but is particularly accessible for people who cannot afford other options. They seem to be an organization that advances many of the development issues related to sexuality mentioned by Correa and Jolly, including those surrounding health, HIV, and AIDS, LGBT rights/health concerns, sex education, and positive attitudes towards sexuality. Bodies produce social meanings, as do the way we talk about organizations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post Katy! Correa and Jolly’s article on sexuality is one of my favorites too, especially because I have only recently started engaging with this issue from an academic perspective. It has made me realize how much I have yet to learn and unlearn.

    The distinction you make between gender identity and sexuality at the beginning of your post is pertinent given that, even in this day and age, the two concepts are commonly confused. In the context of my country, I have seen this happen because of the limited attention that these issues receive. In their article, Correa and Jolly (2008) mention that human development discourses have “paved the way for seeing sexuality as part of development, not just frivolity to be enjoyed once the serious issues of poverty have been tackled” (p. 39). Unfortunately, this is far from the truth in India and perhaps in part explains the existence of regressive attitudes and laws concerning sexuality.That homosexuality continues to be illegal and that women’s sexual behaviors are perpetually under scrutiny by family and society, demonstrate how long a way we have yet to go in terms of sexual freedom.

    Using the example of International Planned Parenthood and the video (which I loved despite some of it's problematic content), you highlight an important point- the relevance of promoting enjoyment of sex. Again, I think Correa and Jolly do a great job of drawing connections between sexuality and the various development problems (including poverty) that are often deemed more important in the “hierarchy” of issues to be addressed. Overcoming this “false dichotomy between the seriousness of poverty and frivolity of sexuality” (Correa and Jolly, 2008) will allow countries like India to truly perceive sexuality as a right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Katy. You made vey good points and clarifications throughout your post. I also enjoyed Amber’s video. I can’t wait to see the day where society celebrates having sex as something good, enjoyable and free of stereotypes and social constraints.

    We have to deconstruct notions of body, sex and sexuality. There are many women working about these ideas around the world and it’s been a topic that I have always had on my radar. How do we perceive our own sexual experiences and our own body?

    I want to share with you an initiative that I am grateful to have known closely when I lived in Guatemala. I want to introduce you to Las Poderosas (The Powerful). This group is a theatrical collective formed by women and their children, all survivors of violence. They create their plays from investigative processes that stem from their own life stories and their relation to the story.

    In one of their latest projects Naciendo/Investigación Colectiva (Born/Collective Research) they explore sex and their particular perceptions regarding sex. They describe the project as follow:

    “We remembered our orgasms and we wrote them by hand. We wanted to write poems about how we give pleasure to ourselves, because it still remains to be a taboo in our country (and for many a sin) that we woman can touch ourselves, recognize our bodies and give ourselves pleasure. We also invited our men and read poems collectively.”

    This project is particularly special not just because they are women talking publicly about taboo topics within a very conservative society; but mainly because the majority of them are Mayan women. Within this project you can find the following subprojects:

    El día que no pude (The day that I could not) → Videos where these women tell their stories about the day that they could not have sex. “The day that my body, my soul, my sexual organ, my circumstances, my desires said: I can’t, I just don’t want to.” http://laspoderosasteatro.com/orgasmocantado/diaqueno.html

    Orgamos Cantados (Singing Orgasms) → They remembered their orgasms and they sang it acapella improvising a melody in front a camera. http://laspoderosasteatro.com/orgasmocantado/orgasmos_cantados.html

    Mi familia, la religion y mi sexualidad (My family, my religion, my sexuality) → They recorded conversations to explore how their families, religion and culture influenced and keep influencing their sexualities. http://laspoderosasteatro.com/orgasmocantado/mifamilia.html

    El placer de mi cuerpo (The pleasure of my body) → Here they draw the parts of their bodies which gave them pleasure. http://laspoderosasteatro.com/orgasmocantado/placerde.html

    Placeres Solitarios (Individual/Solitary Pleasures) → They wrote poems about the relationship of themselves and pleasure. “To play with our body is not something dirty (as they have taught us) but the first space to love ourselves, to embrace ourselves, and to give love and pleasure alone (or accompanied).
    http://laspoderosasteatro.com/orgasmocantado/solitario.html

    Isn’t this beautiful?



    ReplyDelete